Orban OPTIMOD_TV 8185A Effect Processor
The 8185A Stereo Generator is a high-performance
BTSC-standard stereo generator having superb audio quality
and exceptional stability. Although the 8185A will work with
any audio processor, it is designed to be especially
effective when used in conjunction with the Orban
The 8185A far exceeds BTSC requirements, delivers
unimpeachable subjective audio quality, and uses extremely
high-performance low-pass filters to achieve excellent
high-frequency response and the industry’s best aliasing
rejection. The 8185A Stereo Generator has a digital baseband
encoder, group delay equalization, and upgraded noise
reduction circuitry for better overall performance and
• Digital baseband encoder generates BTSC-standard stereo
subchannel and composite baseband. Fig. 1-2 shows the very
clean baseband spectrum produced by the Hadamard Transform
• Separation performance exceeds all BTSC specifications.
• Works with any audio processor. (Has +10dBm
active-balanced left and right inputs, and can accept flat
or pre-emphasized input.)
• When used with the Orban
8182A OPTIMOD-TV Audio Processor,
a special interface allows interleaving of circuitry to get
the brightest sound with the lowest distortion.
• Easy to install and operate.
• Built-in Bessel null calibration tone.
• Built-in peak-indicating meter for input, circuit, and
• Sharp filtering protects pilot and prevents crosstalk
between the main channel and subchannel (see Fig. 1-3).
• Excellent protection from aliasing.
• Group delay equalization of low-pass filters to minimize
overshoots (see Fig. 1-4).
• dbx® noise reduction encoder.
• Built-in dbx noise reduction decoder, de-emphasis, and
de-matrixing for monitoring audio up to the baseband encoder.
• Optional 8185A/PRO Professional Channel Generator circuitry.
• Input port for separate Second Audio Program channel
• Optically-isolated remote control inputs for switching
between stereo and mono operation, for monitoring sync lock
status, and for controlling the optional 8185A/PRO
Professional Channel Generator.
Service and User Manual
16.57 Mbytes (17375900 Bytes)
01 February 1996
Scanned document, all readable.
26 October 2017
1-1 Section 1: Introduction
Oban's OPTIMOD-TV Stereo Generator BTSC Multichannel
Television Sound System Requirements Registration, Warranty,
2-1 Section 2: Installation
Installation — Quick Set-up Installation — Comprehensive
Instructions Rewire of 8182A Accessory Port
3-1 Section 3: Operation
Controls and Indicators Recommended Control Settings
Discussion of Audio Processing Functions
4-1 Section 4: Maintenance
Routine Maintenance Getting Inside the Chassis In-Line
Performance Verification Individual Card Tests
Field Alignment and Comprehensive Card Tests Appendix:
Evaluating BTSC Stereo Generators and Audio Processors: Some
5-1 Section 5: Troubleshooting
Troubleshooting Technique Problems and Possible Causes
6-1 Section 6: Technical Data
Specifications Circuit Description Parts List
Schematics, Assembly Drawings